Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Ah Hong Char Kway Teow @ Cheng Heng Coffee Shop in Seri Austin JB 啊康炒果条



I am always on the look out for good char kway teow like many Malaysians and Singaporeans. Ah Hong's char kway teow in Taman Seri Austin didn't really bowled me over but I know many people like this style of CKT so I am sharing it here.



Ah Hong runs his char kway teow stall with his mum and a helper. They also serve asam laksa.



Ah Hong's mum patiently peels the live blood cockles at the stall every day.



They are so bloody fresh 😄 You can smell the blood 😄



Ah Hong peels the fresh prawns at the stall every day.



Prawns and blood cockles so fresh, win already lor like that.... . The prawns were quite big some more..... .



Ah Hong who hails from Ipoh has over a decade of F & B experience, and was working in a zhi char stall before starting his own char kway teow stall.



A serving of char kway teow at Ah Hong's costs RM5.50.



The rice ribbon noodles or kway teow were fried in a blend of lard and cooking oil. There was some wok sear caramelising the dark soy sauce blend on the noodles. This gave off a nice aroma and savoury toasty taste to the noodles (referred to as wok hei).

The savoury sweet toasty flavour was quite robust though personally I prefer it even stronger. There was a nice underlying spiciness as I had asked for some chili in my char kway teow.

Ah Hong's char kway teow was the dry type and I know many people like this. Personally, I like my kway teow wetter (it's just something I grew up with in Singapore, that's all).

I also wished that the rice ribbon noodles were softer and have a subtle underlying rice taste (like those in Ipoh and Penang). Ah Hong's JB sourced rice noodles were a bit too firm and springy for me.



I like it that Ah Hong fries the egg separately from the kway teow and just folds it into the noodles when it is cooked. This allows me to taste more egginess.

It is also great that Ah Hong puts a generous amounts of Chinese chives 韭菜 with its distinct grassy taste in his char kway teow (something which more and more CKT stalls omit nowadays).

The bean sprouts though skinny had a nice sweet juicy crunch.



Lup cheong (Cantonese waxed sausage) fried to tease out its savoury salty grease added another layer of flavour to the noodles. The slices of wax sausages too brought its own distinct savoury flavour to the dish. I like my char kway teow to have lup cheong.



One of the nicest prawns that I've had in a plate of char kway teow. Nice sweet juicy crunch.


A post shared by Tony Johor Kaki (@johorkaki) on

The itsy bitsy blood cockles were a good test of my chopstick and one-hand photo taking skills 😅

They may be small but the briny fresh cockles tasted good. Next time, I shall ask for extra blood cockles (at additional cost, of course).

Talking about next time, I shall remember to ask Ah Hong for some lard cracklings 豬油渣 in my CKT.



Nothing left on the plate. No leftover sauce, no residual grease.



Restaurant name: Ah Hong Kuay Teow Goreng 啊康炒果条



Address: Jalan Seri Austin 1/2, Taman Seri Austin, 81100 Johor Bahru, Johor (Cheng Heng Food & Beverage)
GPS: 1°34'44.9"N 103°44'50.5"E | 1.579129, 103.747353 
Waze: Cheng Heng Food & Beverage 成兴美食坊 
Hours: 5:00pm - 10:00pm

Date visited: 8 Feb 2018    

Return to Johor Kaki homepage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published