Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

King's Noodle at Old Chinatown Toronto

King's-Noodle-Old-Chinatown-Toronto

With my lunch at King's Noodle today, I have completed my round up of all the roast ducks in old school Cantonese roast shops in downtown Toronto 😄 King's Noodle is a decades old stalwart of Old Chinatown - it just re-opened today after a month long renovation.

King's-Noodle-Old-Chinatown-Toronto

I was just passing by here, on the way to somewhere else when this glorious sight stopped me in my tracks - can you spot me in the picture? 😂

I am weak. There was no way I could resist this temptation 😋

King's-Noodle-Old-Chinatown-Toronto

In addition to the classic roasts, King's Noodle has a busy, steamy noodle and congee section. Almost everyone orders the yau char kwai 油炸鬼 or Chinese fried crullers. Most non-Chinese here refer to them as "doughnuts" 😄

King's-Noodle-Old-Chinatown-Toronto

King's Noodle was bustling on the first day of re-opening after renovation. The inside is bright, simply furnished and comfortable. Table and chairs are packed closely together, so walking space is tight and impassable in some places.

Sharing a table with strangers is the norm if you are two persons or alone. Service is quick but polite. The bill is handed to you soon after the food is served and you pay (cash only) at the counter before stepping out.

King's-Noodle-Old-Chinatown-Toronto

I had a roast duck noodle with soup (CDN5.95 before tax and tip). Used to be CDN5.15 before renovation 😂

King's-Noodle-Old-Chinatown-Toronto

I did not specify my cut of roast duck and was given the back portion with the spine bone. This could be the default cut for this dish but I am not sure.

King's-Noodle-Old-Chinatown-Toronto

Though there wasn't much meat, I enjoyed King's Noodle's roast duck. The marination was relatively robust, so I could taste it's savoury 5-spice flavour all through the meat, fat and skin. Yet, it was mild enough to leave some room for me to taste a bit of the duck's natural gaminess. The golden brown skin had some subtle crispness which is a plus as most roast duck in downtown Toronto have soft or soggy skin.

Next time, I shall specify duck drumstick or breast to get more meat. I expect to pay extra for it but I feel it would be worth it as it is delicious.

King's-Noodle-Old-Chinatown-Toronto

The egg noodles were generic and was done soft al dente which is quite nice.

The tea coloured soup was sweet-savoury and not overly salty. It was nice enough for me to finish it to the last drop, even though it was slightly greasy.

King's-Noodle-Old-Chinatown-Toronto

👉 Food is rather pricey at King's Noodle - up to double the price, of let's say at Sing Sing or New Hong Fatt for roast duck. Still, based only on the roast duck noodle that I had today, King's Noodle's roast duck is very good and I would come back to try more dishes.

King's-Noodle-Old-Chinatown-Toronto

After lunch, I walked around Old Chinatown on a sunny but windy, chilly Spring day. Chinatown is a good place to get fresh groceries at competitive prices.

King's-Noodle-Old-Chinatown-Toronto

Restaurant name: King's Noodle 富豪麵家
Address: 296 Spadina Ave, Toronto, ON M5T 2E7
GPS43°39'11.1"N 79°23'53.8"W | 43.653095, -79.398266
Tel: (416) 598-1817
Hours: 9:00am to 1:00pm (Weds closed)

Non Halal

Date: 17 Apr 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published