Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Korea Samyang Extremely Spicy Fried Chicken Flavor Instant Ramen Noodle

Samyang-Extremely-Spicy-Chicken-Flavor-Ramen

I haven't been blogging instant noodles for a while but Gwen's post about Samyang's Extremely Spicy Chicken Flavor Ramen got me excited about them again. If it can set Gwen, who is an Indian cuisine enthusiast on fire, I Must Try it :-D

Samyang-Extremely-Spicy-Chicken-Flavor-Ramen

I quickly grab a bag of 5 packs at SGD7.90 (from Cold Storage in Singapore) which I felt is rather pricey for instant noodles.

In Singapore, Samyang Extremely Spicy Chicken Flavor Ramen is available at Cold Storage, GIANT, Sheng Siong and NTUC - in other words, everywhere.

Samyang-Extremely-Spicy-Chicken-Flavor-Ramen

There were 5 packs of these inside the bag.

Samyang-Extremely-Spicy-Chicken-Flavor-Ramen

The brick of yellow instant noodle inside the pack. It's quite a big solid block, weighing in at 110 grams.

Samyang-Extremely-Spicy-Chicken-Flavor-Ramen

There were two sachets in the pack.

Samyang-Extremely-Spicy-Chicken-Flavor-Ramen

The large one contains a large dollop of spicy paste.

Samyang-Extremely-Spicy-Chicken-Flavor-Ramen

The smaller sachet contains some sesame seeds and tiny bits of dried seaweed.

Samyang-Extremely-Spicy-Chicken-Flavor-Ramen

Following the instructions on the pack, the "dry" noodles tossed in the spicy sauce and seeds/ seaweed was ready to eat within 10 minutes.

Samyang-Extremely-Spicy-Chicken-Flavor-Ramen

The wheat noodles were quite thick and well coated with the spicy sauce. I like the spongy bounce in the noodles. Indeed, they're among the best that I have tasted from an instant noodle pack. But, if there was any flavour in the noodles it was all overwhelmed by the robust spicy sauce.

Samyang-Extremely-Spicy-Chicken-Flavor-Ramen

There was a slight aroma like fermented bean paste in the spicy sauce. The thick sauce was smooth and mixed easily and well with the noodles. I also like it that the spicy sauce was not greasy.

The sauce was indeed spicy with a sharp sting that lingers a while. It reminds me of the sauce we splash on chee cheong fun but spicier.  

It's less than two notches to the limit of my spiciness tolerance. I could still eat all of it and enjoyed it actually. The sting didn't stay long on my lips and was gone before I knew it.

The package said "chicken flavor" but I could not detect any at all. The sprinkle of seeds and dried seaweed was lost in the sauce smothered noodles and didn't add anything to the dish. I think we could add some more of our own toasted sesame seeds to the spicy noodles for added nutty crunch. A few stalks of greens would also do wonders.

I think these spicy noodles will go extremely well with a separate, large bowl of soup. The spicy noodles will perk up the taste buds, so we will enjoy the soup's more delicate flavours better.

Samyang-Extremely-Spicy-Chicken-Flavor-Ramen

Overall, I enjoyed this spicy noodles because I like the noodles' texture and also the spicy sauce. It is indeed spicy but well within my tolerance level. (I probably started eating chilis since I was two years old. Many of us in Singapore and Malaysia do.)

Samyang-Extremely-Spicy-Chicken-Flavor-Ramen

I am giving Samyang's Extremely Spicy Chicken Flavor Ramen a score of 6/10 based on Johor Kaki instant noodles rating system <- click  These noodles would have earned a higher score if it was less expensive.

Samyang Extremely Spicy Chicken Flavor Ramen is certified Halal.

Join the Instant Noodle Facebook group for more fun with other instant noodle fans <- click

Note: I have no association, whatsoever with Samyang. This post was inspired by Gwen :-D

Date: 14 Oct 2015

Return to Johor Kaki homepage.

35 comments:

  1. my wife likes this noodle.. bought it when its on offer $5.90

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I will be eyeing their offer from now on :-D

      Delete
  2. What other flavors other than chicken do they have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a girl on youtube did a challenge of this and she was eating the cheese version one. She said that it wasnt as spicy as the chicken flavour

      Delete
    2. I tried the cheese version. It was delicious too. And, very spicy as well :-D

      Delete
  3. I'll have to see if they sell this in N.Am!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where can i get this ramen(halal) in malaysia?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw them at Jusco (Tebrau City, Johor Bahru).

      Delete
    2. Can someone buy it for me.. Hahahaha.. Just moved to JB and no transport.. Where can i get it near Landmark?.. Huhuhuhu.. I lived at Saujana.. :p

      Delete
  5. What,s the ingredients of Samyam nodlles,??its have pork ingredient???

    ReplyDelete
  6. What,s the ingredients of Samyam nodlles,??its have pork ingredient???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aniez, it is certified Halal.

      Delete
    2. Hi! Im from the philippines and it seems that the samyang sold here doesnt have any halal certification or halal stamp printed on its package. Do you think its different from the samyang sold in your country? I really want to try it but i cant because i am not a 100 percent sure if it's halal ��

      Delete
  7. It's not that expensive in the Philippines.
    I got mine for like $1.40

    I gotta tell you guys... NEVER drink water while eating this noodle. It will make things even worse I shit you not.
    Milk seems to be the perfect antidote for this, but if you're an extremist and want to taste the full power of this meal, then go for water to push the noodle down. I did, and it was awful.

    Sadly the content of the pack is not enough, so I ate 2. Later on I was eating chocolate covered peanuts and soy milk to ease the pain. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHERE DID YOU BUY IT IN THE PHILIPPINES PLEASE TELL ME!!!! Huhu

      Delete
    2. Where did you buy it in philippines? i've search at many korean store but they don't have it..

      Delete
    3. we bought ours at the "MASANG korean and japanese Store near Farmers in Cubao.. it's 53 pesos each :3

      Delete
  8. Challenge Accepted & Won, what store did you buy it from the Philippines? Korean store? I get this whenever my sister-in-law travels to Korea

    ReplyDelete
  9. The best spicy instant noodle.... since this ... my favorite brand of instant noodle changed to samyang... Although the spicy noodle soup is not as spicy... but the noodle texture is really nice

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought it's a chicken flavour too, but I was wrong. It's just a name of the sauce taken from bul-dak (fire chicken) recipe, which is one of Korean dishes. You can google how does it look like by typing "maangchi buldak".

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL you just thoroughly reviewed instant noodles haha. but damn kudos to you for being able to tolerate the spiciness (???) i felt like fainting while eating it. but it does have a nice flavour though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Where can i get this ramen in puchong/subang?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Where can i get this ramen in puchong/subang?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can get at tesco\giant\aeon
      1 bowl rm7.99.

      Delete
  15. I want to try this. I love spice but I'm staying away from processed chickn. Can someone confirm if this is veg? The sauce? since it says chic "flavor"

    ReplyDelete
  16. Where can I purchase this in california?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Where can i get this in Taiwan ,Taichung

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's available in cold storage, for rm24.99

    ReplyDelete
  19. Introducing fiarrhea in a bag! Incendiary chicken with a live grenade inside of it flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Witth havin sso much content ddo you ever run into any problems of
    plagoriism or copyrght violation? My website has a
    lot of unique conteent I've either created myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my
    authorization. Do you know any techniques to help
    reduce content from being stolen? I'd genuinely appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can someone help me i want the hot sauce only i really like it Its really good is there a only sauce for that?? Sorry for bad english

    ReplyDelete

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published