Tony Johor Kaki Travels for Food · Heritage · Culture · History

Food Explorer Storyteller with 63 million+ reads 📧 johorkaki@gmail.com

Johor Roti Canai (Prata) Selection

Roti-Prata-Johor

Roti Canai (known as Prata in Singapore) is a popular comfort food in Malaysia and Singapore. Personally, I like my roti thick, made up of many folds, with the outer layers crisp and thin while the inner layers remain slightly softer and chewy. To me, good roti is fluffy with very little, if any trace of oil. I also like my roti canai to come with full bodied spicy curry. Some of my makan kakis like their roti to be thin and crispy throughout, almost like a large layered biscuit. My dad likes to drown his roti in curry, let it soak in the curry for a while, and then eat the spicy, soft, soggy bread. So, to each his own roti :)) Here are my favourites in Johor (there are plenty more that I have yet to explore).

Roti-Prata-Johor

Selera Selatan in Taman Johor Jaya, Rosmerah is one of those rare roti canai shops where the good roti is matched with great curries. Enche Loy the owner spreads his dough really wide, and I guess there must be 10 folds in his roti. Selera Selatan's roti is thick, with the outside crispy while the inside is chewy and still moist. Selera Selatan's curries are made with lots of ingredients and spices, so they are robust and full bodied. Selera Selatan also serves their roti with nasi lemak style sambal chili with anchovies.

Roti-Prata-Johor

Bukit Chagar roti canai is the favourite of many from Johor, and also Singapore as the stall is just a stone's throw from the JB CIQ. I like Bukit Chagar's roti too because it is thick with the outside crispy while the inside is tender. Bukit Chagar's roti canai would be perfect for me, if their curry is also robust and full bodied.

Roti-Prata-Johor

Mohd Salleh's roti canai in Taman Pelangi is the regular breakfast of many JBrians. Moistier and softer than the roti of Selera Selatan and Bukit Chagar, it is also one my of my favourites. Not overly crispy, Mohd Salleh's roti has a unique texture and pleasant mouth feel. The curry though is rather ordinary. It is best to be at Mohd Salleh at peak hours like during breakfast to get the roti straight off the frying pan.

Roti-Prata-Johor

Click on the picture above to view other popular roti canai shops in Johor.

Roti-Prata-Johor

4 comments:

  1. Hi tony. Need ur help regarding jb food and travel . Can u email me at Docjeffchua@gmail.com
    Thanks
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss roti prata with sardin source.

    ReplyDelete
  3. u should try at taman ungku tun aminah! roti canai stall. known as Rosli Roti Canai since 1991 ^^

    ReplyDelete

All comments submitted with genuine identities are published